1. Determine if you are shipping "Courier Packages" or "Pallet Freight". Increasingly, businesses and individuals are purchasing and shipping goods from the US to import to Canada. When shipments become larger than "courier size" many people find the complexities of shipping to be overwhelming. Specifically, when shipments have a girth larger than 165" (freight) then commercial transport via truck is required.
2. If your shipment is considered "freight" the use of a professional customs broker will be required to manage the clearance across the border. ShipCanada works with a network of customs brokerages representing clients at every major border crossing in Canada. We pickup from all points in the U.S. and deliver to all points within Canada.
3. Obtain all necessary documents from the U.S. Shipper. At a minimum, the shipper will need to provide a commercial invoice outlining the value of the sale as well as an accurate description of the goods being moved. The shipper may also need to provide additional documents such as a NAFTA certificate or Food & Drug inspection documents.
4. If you are shipping freight from US to Canada, determine the freight "class". In the U.S. all freight has an associated "class" which the carrier will use to determine to appropriate freight rate. Understanding the freight class will help you select the right shipping company which can help avoid costly billing adjustments.
5. While Shipping from US to Canada, ensure your carrier partner has the correct contact information for you and your customs broker. The most costly delays in cross-border transport happen when the cargo is stuck for any period of time at the border. If the carrier is trying to reach you or your customs agent in the middle of the night for additional information you must to be available or that truck will not be permitted to continue across the border.
For more information on shipping from US to Canada call one of our experienced freight transportation specialists with any questions regarding your shipment. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you and your customers. Our Customer Service Line is: 1-289-813-4024.
Our network offers daily Service To and From most North American Cities.
Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Nova Scotia Newfoundland Ontario Quebec Prince Edward Island Saskatchewan
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming .
You can also feel free to visit our online Shipping School for help with terminology and definitions. Our agents are equipped to assist you with all aspects of the shipping process. Once your shipment is is in transit you can also track the customs clearance status by visiting our customs portal and locating the appropriate customs broker.
Let our team manage your shipment from start to finish!
ShipCanada™ processes more quote requests across more shipping lane combinations than any other Canadian logistics company. Whether you are shipping Parcel , LTL freight, or Flatbed freight....We have you covered!
We know our customers are busy and on the move. ShipCanada makes managing your shipment easy by giving you the ability to manage your shipment on your desktop or mobile device.
Once you print 3 copies of the shipping label (or bill of lading); affix one to the shipment, give one to the driver upon pickup & keep one for yourself. Once your shipment is in transit your logistics coordinator will provide you with tracking so you can keep an eye on your shipment until final delivery.